Friday, August 17, 2007

Not Dead, Not Even Close

So again with the tough month. I guess more than a month has gone by, but I am still just hanging on by my very stubby, partly painted finger nails. We are in full on harvest mode here at the Berntson farm. It is exciting to see the fields getting cut with the swather, then the combine comes through and gobbles up the grain, leaving behind a smooth yellow trail of straw. The next step is that we have been square baling the straw. The square baler has been having fits and not working as well as it needs to. This adds a considerable amount of time and stress to getting the straw baled. Farming is not for the faint of heart. I could not be prouder of my 14 year old son, who can work a 10-12 hour day and not complain. He hasn't had time to go in and participate in the weight training program, but he is buffer than any of the other guys his age. I am so proud of my 9 year old son who is driving a tractor, pulling a gravity box full of grain and emptying it into a grain bin. I am proud of my 11 year old daughter because she can throw straw bales and keeps at it for quite a while. I am amazed also at how my husband can keep going. I have learned a lot about tenacity and hard work from him. For all of how hard this life is, I need to focus on the positives. We live in the country and have fresh air to breath, green grass for the kids to run and play on. It is a good life. But it is also a hard life.